For the Love of Cooking!
Grilled Five-Spice Chicken Recipe
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Grilled Five-Spice Chicken
Rate this Recipe
The perfect amount of spice to make this dish amazing.
|1 whole chicken|
|3 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|2 tablespoons soy sauce|
|3 tablespoons ginger, minced|
|2 tablespoons garlic, minced|
|2 tablespoons sugar|
|2 teaspoons turmeric, ground|
|1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder|
|1/2 tablespoon sea salt|
|4 whole star anise, lightly toasted in a dry pan for 3 minutes, pounded or ground into a fine powder|
|1/2 cup Soy-Lime Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)|
- Cut the chicken into 6 pieces and make 1 or 2 slashes in each piece for faster cooking. Trim and discard any excess fat. Pat the chicken dry.
- In a bowl, combine the oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar, turmeric, five-spice powder and salt. Stir well to blend. Add the chicken pieces and turn several times to coat them evenly. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Start a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to moderate heat. (You can also use a broiler.) Thirty minutes before cooking, add the freshly toasted star anise powder to the marinated chicken, turning so the meat is coated evenly.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, on the grill. Cook 10 minutes, then turn over and grill until the chicken is cooked and the juices run clear, another 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. While grilling, move the chicken pieces around so that they cook evenly. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve with the dipping sauce.
Serves About 1/2 Cup
|1/2 clove garlic|
|1 Thai bird chilies|
|1 1/4 tablespoon sugar|
|1/6 cup soy sauce, preferably Chinese style|
|1 1/4 tablespoon lime juice with pulp|
|1/8 cup water, or to taste|
- Place the garlic, chilies and sugar in a mortar and pound into a paste. (You can also chop the garlic and chilies by hand.)
- Transfer to a small bowl and add the soy sauce, lime juice and water. Stir until well blended. This sauce will keep up to 3 weeks if stored in the refrigerator in a tight-lidded jar.
See Other Recipes Like This
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >
Fantastic Baking Ideas for the Holidays
Looking to bake something other than plain sugar cookies for the holidays? Check out these fantastic baking ideas! View Recipes >