For the Love of Cooking!
Easy Authentic Tamales Recipe
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Easy Authentic Tamales
Rate this Recipe
A simple to follow recipe for amazing homemade tamales.
|2 cups water, (plus more)|
|2/3 cup lard|
|1 1/4 lbs pork loin|
|2 cups masa harina, (type of flour)|
|1 clove garlic|
|1 cup sour cream|
|4 chile pods, (dried)|
|11 oz beef broth|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|8 oz cornhusks, (dried)|
|1 onion, (halved)|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
- In a Dutch oven, add in garlic, pork loins and onion. Fill with water, enough to cover ingredients. Bring contents to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove seeds and stems from chile pods. Place chiles into a saucepan, pour in 2 cups water and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Pour chiles and water into a blender. Puree until smooth. Strain the mixture. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to chile mix.
- Shred the pork, add in 1 cup of chile mix. Toss together.
- Place cornhusks in a bowl of warm water and let soak. Remove from water and pat dry once well soaked.
- In a separate bowl, beat together a tablespoon of beef broth with lard. Beat until fluffy. Add in remaining salt, masa harina and baking powder. Beat together, add more broth to make spongy dough.
- Spread a thin layer of the dough into the cornhusks, about 1/4 inch thick. Add a tablespoon of pork into the middle and fold sides inward. Steam for 1 hour.
- Remove husks from tamales, drizzle the remaining sauce over each tamale. Top with sour cream.
See Other Recipes Like This
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >
Classic Holiday Recipes with a Twist
Try these delicious recipes for your Thanksgiving meal. They're easy to prepare, fun to make, the whole family will love them. Share your passion for cooking and do something a little different this holiday season. Great tasting recipes from turkey and stuffing to mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Don't forget the pumpkin pie! View Recipes >
What to eat before the Big Meal?
Here are a few recipe ideas to have before your Thanksgiving Day meal. Why not start off the day with something a little sweeter? Maybe a dish with apples? The perfect fall fruit, crisp, juicy and delicious. Or maybe you're in the mood for a hearty brunch, something with a little of everything. View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >