Fantastic Home-style Chicken Fried Steak
Serves 4 |
Seasoned and breaded to perfection.
|2 cups flour, plus separate 1/4 cup for frying |
|1 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste |
|4 beef cube steaks |
|4 cups milk |
|1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce |
| Kosher salt, to taste |
|3 cups vegetable shortening |
|2 teaspoons baking powder |
|3/4 teaspoon salt |
|1 1/2 cups buttermilk |
|1 teaspoon baking soda |
|2 cloves garlic, minced |
|1 egg |
- Tenderize steaks, flatten to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Pour flour in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine pepper, baking powder, salt and baking powder. Add in egg, garlic, buttermilk and hot pepper sauce. Stir together until evenly mixed.
- Dredge each steak in flour, then in batter and again in batter. Ensure that steaks are covered completely in flour.
- Place shortening in skillet, heat to 325° F. Place each steak, one at a time in the skillet, cook 3-5 minutes. Steak should be golden brown. Place on paper towels to dry. Transfer to plates after a few minutes.
- Pour out most of the liquid contents from skillet, reserve a small portion and add reserved flour. Whisk together, then add milk. Raise temperature to a simmer and cook 6-7 minutes. Sprinkle in Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour fresh gravy over plated fried steaks.